The 2017-2018 Reflections Theme is:
The Reflections Program is a National PTA and Georgia PTA cultural arts competition. Since 1969, over 10 million students across the nation have taken part in this popular PTA program.
The purpose of this program is to provide an opportunity for students to use their creative talents by expressing themselves through their own original works. The excitement and enthusiasm that the program generates for students, parents, schools and communities is unmatched with the majority of Georgia PTAs participating in the program at all PTA levels.
Young artists get involved through their local PTA or PTSA. A student may submit an entry in any of six arts areas. Only original works of art are accepted. The six art areas are: Visual Arts Photography, Literature, Music Composition, Dance Choreography, and Film Production.
That's why the Reflections Program provides an excellent opportunity for students of all ages to:
- Unleash their creative talents and be inspired
- Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork
- Experience the joy and fun of making art
- Tap into critical thinking skills to create art inspired by the annual theme
- Receive positive recognition for their original works of art
Using A Checklist To Ensure All Requirements Are Met
Registering, Organizing, and Planning are just the first steps in having a successful Reflections program. Be sure to use the provided checklist to help make sure no steps are left out!
What Is a PTA Reflections Celebration?
The PTA Reflections Celebration is a powerful tool for encouraging students to explore and be involved in the arts. Together, school leaders and families offer positive reinforcement for participation in the National PTA Reflections program.
Parents and community leaders are welcomed into the school to discover the rich culture and artistic skills presented by student artists. An art exhibit with live student performances and an awards ceremony will showcase the importance of arts education in your school.
During the PTA Reflections Celebration, families will:
- Recognize their child’s participation and achievement in the arts.
- Discover new opportunities to stay involved in their child’s learning through the arts.
- Understand how arts programs provide necessary educational benefits and share their positive experiences with school and community leaders.
Why Is Student Recognition Important?
Celebrating student learning provides an opportunity for schools and families to connect with each other and to their community. When PTAs and schools celebrate the arts together, all families feel welcomed into the school and are encouraged to take an active role in their child’s learning. Research shows positive recognition and engaged families attribute to higher rates of student success.
Celebration events also serve as a platform for communicating the importance of arts education in your school. Ensure school leaders, policy makers and community leaders recognize the value of learning through the arts.
After you collect your artwork, it is time for judging. To aid the judges, provide each judge with the Judging Guidelines and Score Card
Submitting to Council/State:
Local Unit Reflections Chairs: As you prepare your student entries to move forward from local unit to council or state level judging, we have a 3 step process we would like for you to follow.
- Step 1 - Complete the Local Unit Participation Form
- Step 2 - Complete the Winners Log. Please note that there are three tabs in the Winners Log Excel Spreadsheet. Please be sure to completely fill out the information on all three tabs (Local PTA Information, Winners List, Special Artist Winners)
- Step 3 - Register your local unit with National PTA. We do not require Local Units to input their student entries into the online database, however, local units AND Councils need to create an account and register their schools in the online system.
The search is on for the 2019-2020 National PTA Reflections program theme! The student who submits the winning entry will receive $100, and his or her theme will be announced at the National PTA Convention and Exhibition in June 2018.
Please review the past themes listed on the form linked below. Repeat themes will not be considered.
Participation in the Reflections Program theme search is optional.
State Deadline for 2019-2020 Theme SEARCH Entries: Oct. 6, 2017
Rules and Forms
Special Artists Division
- Special Artists Local Student Entry Form
(Be sure to mark the box indicating this is a Special Artist Entry.)
- Special Artists Rules
- Special Artist Flyer English
- Special Artist Flyer Spanish
State Deadline for 2017-2018 Entries: December 1, 2017
These documents can be used together to create a packet of information to send home with interested students.
- Poster 2016-2017
- Volunteer Job Descriptions
- Abridged Reflections Rules
- Reflections Quick Points
- Local Student Entry Form
- Consent Form
- Reflections Flyer for 2016-2017
- Tips for promoting Reflections 2016-17
- Local Unit Reflections Checklist
- Certificate of Recognition (and Other Awards)
- Arts in Education Flyer - English
- Arts in Education Flyer - Spanish
Mary Lou Anderson Reflections Arts Enhancement Grant Program
Is your PTA planning a creative Arts Program for students? Each year, National PTA provides up to $1,000 in matching funds for PTA sponsored Arts Programs facilitating sustained involvement in the arts that target populations of at-risk students.
Formulario para Búsqueda Tema en Español
- Formulario para búsqueda de tema 2018 - 2019 (y temas años anteriores)
(Theme Search Entry Form)
- Formulario para búsqueda de tema 2018 - 2019 (y temas años anteriores)
Fin de plazo del Estado para Entradas de 2018-2019 Búsqueda Tema: 6 Oct. 2017
¡Ha comenzado la búsqueda del tema para el Programa National PTA Reflections® 2017-2018! El alumno que entregue la entrada ganadora recibirá $100, y su tema será anunciado en la Convención y Exposición Nacional de la PTA en junio de 2017.
¡Por favor, consulte los temas anteriores en la siguiente página. No se considerarán los temas repetidos. Use este formulario para entregar las ideas para el tema. Sólo se considerarán los formularios originales firmados.
La participación en la búsqueda de temas del programa Reflections es opcional.
- Theme Search Guidelines
- Formulario para búsqueda de tema 2018 - 2019 (y temas años anteriores) (Theme Search Entry Form)
Fin de plazo del Estado para Entradas de 2018-2019 Búsqueda Tema:1 Oct. 2017
Fin de plazo del Estado para 2017-2018 Entradas: 1 Dec. 2017
Reflections Awards Ceremony
Congratulations to the winners! The 2017-2018 state level judging is underway and a few categories have been completed and invitations will be sent to the winners. Students will be recognized and learn their placement (first, second, third or honorable mention) at the Georgia PTA Awards Reception on Sunday, March 18, 2018 at the Woodruff Arts Center.
The festivities will begin at 2:00 pm. The schedule of events and recognition by category times are as follows:
2:00 pm - 2:45 pm Theme Search, Poster Award, Special Artist Awards
3:00 pm - 3:45 pm Musical Composition, Dance Choreography
4:00 pm - 4:45 pm Photography, Film/Video Production
5:00 pm - 5:45 pm Visual Arts, Literature
We encourage you to visit our viewing room on the day of the ceremony - winning entries will be displayed. Please contact Georgia PTA at 404-659-0214 or email@example.com for more information.