Environmental Education Resources
Why Environmental Education?
According to the 1999 U.S. EPA publication, Environmental Education Advances Quality Education, environmental education (EE) is a learning process that increases knowledge and awareness about the environment and develops skills that enable responsible decisions and actions that impact the environment. EE encourages inquiry and investigation and enables the learner to develop critical-thinking, problem-solving and effective decision-making skills. EE enables individuals to weigh various sides of an environmental issue. It does not advocate a particular viewpoint or course of action. It is important for our children to understand their role in environmental stewardship because a sustainable and clean environment contributes directly to student success and well-being.
Over the years, National PTA has recognized the growing importance of environmental issues and the impact they have on the health and welfare of children and their families. Read National PTA’s Position Statement on Environmental Health and Safety.
- Environmental Education Alliance in Georgia – A comprehensive resource for teachers, parent leaders, club leaders and other engaged stakeholders
- Special Days for EE: 2013-2014 School Year Planner
- Outdoor Learning Symposium, October 4th – Register Now!
- Georgia Department of Natural Resources
- Keep Georgia Beautiful
- US Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools
How to Conduct…Program Series
- Trash to Treasures
- Waste Free Lunch Day
- Save the Honey Bees